Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Recipe: Soaked Muesli Cereal



I few years ago, and to my great sadness, I learned that supermarket cereals, even the organic ones, are really unhealthy.  And by really unhealthy I mean they are toxic. So I played around with some alternatives and here's my favorite.

Soaked Muesli, a natural Swiss cereal.

3 cups rolled oats and/or rye flakes
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds


Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender a few times. Fill cereal bowl(s) 1/2 full with dry cereal. Add water (about as much as you would add milk if this was traditional cereal). Add a teaspoon of high quality yogurt. Stir. Set bowl, covered, in a warm place over night. In the morning add a pinch of salt, a bit of honey or raw sugar, and a dash of heavy cream.

I love this breakfast because it's so fast, easy, natural, healthy and filling. I like to make it on the mornings when I have a lot to do and need a quick, filling meal. The kids also LOVE it.

Another tip: if you can avoid it, don't take you kids down cereal isles in stores. We shop the outside of all stores, even the health food store. We get fresh fruits, veggies, dairy, meat, baking supplies and some bulk grains, like oats. My kids never even see the Mac and Cheese boxes with Sponge Bob or the half million different types of super hero breakfast cereal. They do not even know it exists. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails