Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Will you wait for them to catch up?



Recently my family and I went on a short trip to visit a lighthouse museum about an hour away from where we live. Once you park you must walk a half mile out, through a nature preserve to get to the light house. It's an easy and pleasant walk but with three boys wandering around it felt like herding cats!
I was in typical "mom" mode. We had an agenda. We were walking from point A to point B. I wanted to see the lighthouse and I knew where I was going.

The boys had other plans.....they wanted to wander around, pick flowers and grass, read ALL of the plaques alongside the path......

I was walking straight - I had a destination.

They piddled here and there and the baby, who refused to be carried wanted to stop and pick up every rock he saw. He kept "holding me up." I would have to stop and wait for him.

I would have to stop and wait for him.....

That's when I realized that this is good practice.

I may know where I'm going. I may be 32 and have a few things figured out and I may know that today I want to go to the lighthouse.

But they don't....nor will they anytime soon.

They don't have direction yet, they don't have a plan.

They just ARE.

As they walk their paths through life will I wait for them?
Will I always remember that they are smaller than I? Younger than I--

that they may not have a path chosen and that's OK (because neither did I when I was their age).

Will I stop.....be patient....and wait.

Will I let them pick flowers, wonder around, start down one way then turn around and chose another?

Heavenly Father, please, grant me the patience. Please give me the ability to....

stop....

turn around...

and wait.....

until they catch up. 

Amen.



2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails