Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Years Resolutions

 "And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" Colossians 3:23

I never much cared for New Year's resolutions for much of my life. I always thought that if you wanted to change something or start something that you shouldn't wait until New Year's - you should just change it or start right away

Then I grew older and wiser- tee hee. Now the years fly by like weeks and I figure why not make a New Year's resolution or two, it will be a new year before you know it!

I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do this year. And then it dawned on me. I do too much! Why add to it? I thought maybe I should commit to read some Jane Austen everyday - but exactly where am I going to fit that into my schedule?

So I decided to make resolutions that are something I'm NOT going to do anymore.

So without further ado, here is what I'm NOT doing anymore (hopefully LOL)...




1. No yelling

 "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" Proverbs 15:1 ESV

I gave up yelling last year for lent. I didn't yell across the house, I didn't yell up stairs, I didn't yell when I was mad. If something was important then I would get up and walk across the house instead of yelling. It kept me calmer. It took a while after lent for me to get into the habit of yelling again but here it is nearly a year later and I'm back in the habit....so, no yelling for me anymore, period. Hopefully this new resolve will finally make this a character trait of mine. A habit that I need not even think about. Wish me luck!




2. No scrolling through facebook when my children are up

 "How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep?" Proverbs 6:9

I know that what we say to our children is drowned out by our loud actions. I may tell them facebook is a waste of time but when I sit down and check my newsfeed every chance that I get I doubt that they are really getting the message. So, I may check my facebook after the boys are in bed or if they are out with their Papa but other then that I'm setting a good example.




3. No reading mainstream news

  "And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone..." 2 Timothy 2:24 ESV

I have a news reading habit. I LOVE reading about politics, social wars and gossip. I get myself all worked up and polarized. Most, I get over opinionated. So no more Google News, no more Huffington Post. When I get the urge to read I will read Life Site News or one of my favorite blogs like Bending Birches or A Holy Experience.

What are you NOT doing this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails