Thursday, January 30, 2014

Vegetarian Baked Bean Chili




My husband is a vegetarian and we often eat beans so come the end of the week I have lots of left over, homemade, baked beans. Tonight I came up with a recipe to use up the extras that turned out so good, I had to jump on here and share it right away!

Ingredients

1 large, chopped onion
8 oz stewed or fresh tomatoes
30 oz (or about 4 cups) tomato sauce, juice or soup
5 cups of baked beans (mixed with cooked rice optional)
2 cups water
Chili powder to taste (I use about 1 tablespoon)
Garlic powder to taste (I use about 1 tablespoon here too)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat sauté onion until tender. Add the stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, beans and water.
  2. Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve with corn bread and top with cheese. Serves about 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails