Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Sweeter Halloween Series - Part 2 - Wholesome Activities



Little Sprite Boy enjoys a s'more around the campfire during our trip to the pumpkin patch!
 

Haunted houses, spokes, ghosts, zombies....it seems nearly impossible to find wholesome things to do on Halloween. I've really been prompted to stay clear of such demonic influences for several years but this year I threw my hands up and said "I'm DONE!"

It all came about when I took my children to the opening day of the Spirit Halloween store. Their grandpa had just visited and gave each of them $20. I thought it would fun for them to start thinking about Halloween costumes and maybe buy some fun dress up things.

Boy howdy!

I could not BELIEVE what I saw in that store! Pretend dead babies with bleeding eye sockets. Little mechanical zombie girls with missing eyes, black stuff dripping from the eye sockets, that jump at you and yell for their mommy.

In short I was HORRIFIED and I think my children were scarred for life. Honestly, they still have nightmares.

It was beyond sick but was unfortunately not isolated to that store.

Imagine my surprise when I see facebook posts from one of my favorite family farms who were getting ready for their annual Halloween pumpkin patch by decorating with this zombie girl!

Wha? Seriously?

My home school group had a field trip planned to this farm. I decided my children and I would not be going to this pumpkin patch and I chose another farm, a little further away. This farm was more low key. They had a "Sleepy Hallow" theme and the scariest thing they had was a boy dressed as the headless horseman riding a real horse.

Most important about the headless horseman was there was no blood or gore. The horseman didn't frighten my children, they squealed with delight. It was just fake enough to not be terrifying and just real enough to cast a fun atmosphere.

This farm decorated with pumpkins and some white sheet ghosts only. No blood, no gore, no dead babies.

*sigh of relief*

My church holds an annual Halloween carnival and trunk or treat. 99% of the costumes, activities and trunks are not scary and are fun and playful however I'm not trilled with trick or treating in general so when someone in my local home school group decided to host an unHalloween party on Halloween night I jumped on the chance!

This party has a fairytale theme. We still get to dress up, have a costume parade but in addition there will be a sugar-free dessert contest, a soup potluck, a story telling time, karaoke, etc.

Wholesome. No candy, no guts, no blood, no gore.

Perfect!

So I encourage you to seek out a sweeter Halloween by minding what activities you choose to participate in. I encourage you to follow your promptings and pray about what your family will do in October and seek out the sweet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails