Monday, March 28, 2011

Sourdough Tortillas


Recently it dawned on me that sprouted grain tortillas were too heavy on our food budget ($4 for 6) and they didn't taste all that good really. I wanted a tortilla recipe that would keep to the nourishing traditions theme of our diet by soaking and fermenting the grain. Here's a recipe I worked out ...

Ingredients:

3 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp oil
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 Tbsp yogurt or sourdough starter

Combine the flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and sift well. In the meantime bring the water to a boil. Mix oil in by hand until the mixture looks like course crumbs. Add boiling water and stir until just barely mixed. Allow the mixture to cool until you can handle it. Add yogurt to mixture. Kneed dough until soft but not sticky.

Form dough into golf ball sized balls. Place them on a platter and cover. Leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.

When you're ready to cook them, roll them out thinly with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Cook on a dry skillet over medium high heat for about 30 seconds on each side. The rolling out bit takes some practice so don't worry if you screw it up a bit at first keep going it will fall into place, I promise!

Serve warm. Store them in an air tight container along with a damp cloth to keep them moist. They keep in the fridge for a while, well over a week!

We eat them on our taco Tuesday dinner. You can fry the extra up in coconut oil and dust with powdered sugar for a nice dessert!

1 comment:

  1. great! There are a few sourdough tortilla recipes I want to try now. I love my homemade sprouted tortillas, but I think I like to eat them plain better than in a burrito or something..they can be a bit heavy. I'm re-starting my sourdough starter right now, it's almost ready.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails