Saturday, January 7, 2012

Good Housekeeping - Saturday and Sunday

My  messy boys :)


This week I am writing a series on good housekeeping. I'm sharing my rhythm and what works for me every day as I go about my week tidying up after all our boys! :)




Daily Wisdom

:: Dishes, 2-3 times per day
:: Straighten up main area for 10 minutes after each meal time
:: Check the chickens
:: Brush the dog
:: Read my scriptures
 
 
Saturday
:: Clean Outside
When we clean outside we start with the coop. We rake the sand clean, put fresh litter inside and clean out the roost boxes and lay down fresh straw. Then we sweep down the back porch and clear up any clutter we find laying around. If you have access to your garage (my husband wont let me in there, it's his domain :)) then you should clean up and sweep the garage. In the front yard we clean up the dog doo, sweep the walk ways and driveway, wipe down the outside windows, pick toys up, mow the lawn (yes, I do this LOL even four months pregnant!), and make note of any repairs that need work.

:: Clean the Car
Depending on how dirty your car is you should clean out trash and vacuum. Every once in while pull out the car seats, vacuum under them and wash them or wipe them down. Wash the outside of the car as needed (I don't bother in the winter LOL)
 
:: Bath Night
I clean the children and myself throughout the week as needed but bath night is when we get super scrubby. I make sure all the bits and pieces are washed clean, hair is shampooed and conditioned, nails are scrubbed clean, ears are cleaned out, nails trimmed, etc - everyone is squeaky clean on bath night!


A Sabbath dinner



Sunday

:: Church
Sundays in our home are reserved for church, rest, reflection and family. We go to church from 10 AM-1 PM. I strongly encourage families to spend one day a week engaged in spiritual activity. Find a church, temple, synagogue, mosque, drumming circle, a fellowship of some sort and use that day to rest and reflect on your Creator. 

:: Media Free Day
We also use Sundays to practice media free time. No radio, no secular music, no movies, no Internet, no non-religious reading materials, etc. Giving your mind, body and spirit a break from constant stimulation is needed. Your mind needs to reflect and refresh which it cannot do unless you sit and do nothing.
 
Nothing is an adjustment. At first you'll be REALLY bored but you will get use to it and it will amaze you what you find to pass the time. I usually end up talking to my husband and children about my thoughts. I'm a big talker and with nothing to distract us we end up sitting around exchanging stories, ideas, news, etc. It's a really crucial time for reconnection as a family.

So that's it! We are done! Is your house shinny and new? Is it on it's way? I'm so glad you could join me for our good housekeeping series this week. I wish you blessings on your homemaking endeavors! Please share comments with me and let me know how you manage your household and the tips you find helpful :)

Did you miss Friday, you can find him here. Have a great weekend!

"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.  Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done."
- Genesis 2: 2

1 comment:

  1. I keep ending up on your blog, like I mentioned today. I always like what I read :)I decided to really comment instead of just talking to myself after reading :)
    So, I love your thoughts for the Sabbath. I've grown up in an atmosphere of a media free sabbath and I realized what you said is so true. Sunday really becomes a day of so much conversation. I love it.
    As for my housekeeping ideas... I am an avid flylady.net advocate. I keep my sink shiny, I wake up, make my bed and get dressed, and put on my shoes and then before bed I prepare for the next day by checking to make sure my sink is still shining and I lay out my clothes and purse. I also check my calendar. The main reason I love flylady is that she has taught me how to Finally Love (yourself) Myself, and thus FLY. Also, how to let go of perfectionism and really learn to love blessing myself, my home, my family and all others who stop by. Anyway, she is my housekeeping secret. She teaches truth and I've learned to fly :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails